Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Easter Bunny bumped me

So, Big J and I have been considering a March 2010 wedding for a few reasons:


  1. Anything sooner will probably be stressful to plan within 12 months. (We are also looking at buying a place to live; he needs to study for a big certification test coming up this Spring; and I need to seriously commit back to my gym routine before I start dress shopping!)
  2. It is hopefully after any snow falls in NY, and spring is beginning to arrive.
  3. We both are not feeling summer weddings because of the heat and bugs (I hate bugs!!)
  4. March is before the official "wedding season" starts in April, so it is a bit more affordable.

But, I just realized yesterday that in 2010, Easter is in early April. Which means that in the Catholic church, March is during Lent. During Lent, most Catholic church traditions do not approve of weddings and/or celebrations during this time. Easter is the most important date in the Catholic calendar, and the period of forty-days before are a time of solemn reflection.

We have not yet spoken to my/his Church to see if they would be unwilling to do it. But, from what I have seen online, even if a church wedding takes place during Lent, the rest of the celebration should take the Lenten season into account. For example, it is suggested that meat/poultry dishes are not served in observance of those fasting.

So, I am not even sure if we will ask our churches. I am so confused!

Anyway, if we do follow the idea of no weddings during Lent, then this leaves us with either before February 17th or after April 4th. And, since April is the beginning of wedding season, I am sure we will soon learn of a price difference.

But do I want to be a February bride? Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday in 2010, so if we were to have the wedding on the 13th would I be ruining plans for anyone who maybe wanting to plan a Valentine's weekend? And, what about a few years back when NYC got the "Valentine's Day snowstorm." I am not sure I could handle having a big storm on our wedding day.

I am clueless...any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment