Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"You won a honeymoon!"...

...Ok, but seriously, what is the catch, right? I wonder how many brides-to-be get that random call saying that there name was pulled at random in a lottery drawing that they don't remembering entering. As I mentioned yesterday, I have been engaged for a little over two months now, and I've already received two of these phone calls.

And, no, they swear it is not a timeshare...instead its a cookware show. Just sit for 90 minutes, taste some food which will be cooked during the presentation, and if you want you can buy. But no strings attached. And in return...an all-inclusive paid vacation to the Caribbean!

Well, the first call/invitation I got, my fiance and I planned on going. But it was out of our way that day, we figured that there must be a catch, and we didn't bother going. About two days after cancelling on that first show, RING, RING...there is an invitation for another show! This time, a different company (or is it?) and a slightly different prize.

It was after work on a weeknight, instead of during the weekend, so this time we actually did go. The presentation started at 8:30 last night. First, thank goodness we ate dinner beforehand and did not count on tasting all those free samples that would be provided by the "chef." The free sample was some steamed carrots...and they didn't even offer that till after 10PM at night!

I must say though, the cookware did look interesting. But, I am not a fan of the high-pressure sales tactics and scare-tactics that they used. The sales angle was buy TODAY for the discount. If you don't buy today you will never get the discount again. My and my fiance, "big J," did talk it over quite seriously for a few minutes. But, we didn't know anything about the company. And, I, an admitted Google-lover, wanted to research this further. After all, it is probably not a great idea for a few THOUSAND dollar purchase to solely rely on a sales person in a 90-minute live "infomercial" as the only source of information. We even asked if there was like a 24-hour cancellation policy in case I did do research and decided i didn't want it. Well, that question was not received well...so we declined.

As for the "door prizes"....so far it looks like a bunch of I.O.U's that we need to mail out and wait for vouchers and such to get mailed back to us. I will do it. What is $0.42 postage compared to the 90+ minutes I already wasted?

How many other people have gotten these calls? Did you go? Did you buy anything? And...most importantly...any luck with the FREE vacation and other door prizes??

Of course, I will post an update if anything noteable happens to show up at my doorstep....

2 comments:

  1. Its crazy how they get your numnber! I finally had to tell the people at the "Pros" PLEASE, PLEASE stop calling me!!!
    I was slightly intrigued by the cookware show call I got as well, thanks for taking the bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a call like that once, but ran scared and hid from it. I had a terrifying hard sale experience once and I never want to go back. But do keep us updated if you actually get something! Then I'd even reconsider...

    ReplyDelete